Godiva was founded in 1926 in Brussels, Belgium, by the Draps family who opened their first shop in the Grand Place in Brussels under its present name, in honour of the legend of Lady Godiva. The first shop outside Belgium was opened in Paris on the Rue Saint Honoré in 1958. In 1966, the company's products reached the United States, where they were sold at shopping centers. The following year, it was purchased by the Campbell Soup Company. In 1972, the first Godiva shop in North America was opened on New York City's Fifth Avenue.